Friday, November 17, 2017

Optimistic Gratitude

It’s that time again. It happens every year. “It” meaning the holiday season. Of course Christmas merchandise was put out before Halloween so the “season” actually started a while ago. This is both a horrible and a wonderful time of year. It all depends on where you are in your life and the circumstances of your environment.

I’ve had holiday seasons from both ends of the spectrum – awful and delightful – sad and happy – grateful and not so much. But, I’ve always managed to make something about each one unique and special. I’m an optimist. When I’m having a bad holiday, I try to tell myself that next year will be better. Sometimes it actually is better and sometimes I have to repeat my mantra of “next year it will be better.”

This year brings a different kind of Thanksgiving for me. Since my family will not be celebrating a feast of turkey until Saturday, I’m left to accept invitations from other friends. There are three – count ‘em – THREE dinners that I’ll be attending this year. I’m very blessed to have been asked to spend this meal with such good friends and my family. This coming Sunday I’ll be at a church dinner; on Friday, the 24th, I’ll be at a friend’s house; and on Saturday the 25th, I’ll be with my grandchildren. On the real Thanksgiving Day, I’ll be cooking and preparing; calling my California family; and watching “Christmas in Connecticut”, a 1945 movie starring Barbara Stanwyck, my personal Christmas favorite. I don’t know of any Thanksgiving movies.

I have much to be grateful this year. I made a list:
  1.       I’m in the middle of writing the sequel to “The Immortal Alcoholic’s Wife” and have received contributions from Riley’s shipmates about life on board submarines. Thank you, guys!
  2.       I will not be listening to Riley’s cries for help from his pain. I’m grateful he is no longer suffering.
  3.    .  My family is healthy and happy. My great-grandchildren grow taller with each glance in their direction. Their brains are like sponges that soak up every piece of knowledge presented to them.
  4.       I’m at peace with knowing I did everything I possibly could to make Riley’s last days more tolerable.
  5.       My travel plans are starting to develop even though it still is a bit early. I should be leaving Virginia sometime after March to start my trip across country while making stops to visit with my followers. Be sure to e-mail me a stop request to immortalalcoholic@gmail.com so I can add you to the itinerary.
  6.        I’m learning that it’s OK to leave the house and do things to take care of myself. I’m grateful to be able to learn that lesson and act on it.
  7.       There is happiness in my life where there used to be despair. I’m grateful for the happiness and to not feeling guilty about being in this state of mind.

 With all this gratitude starring me in the face, I now realize that alcoholism stole from me and my family years of happiness. I have always been grateful even in the worst of times. There’s always something that I can appreciate. But, I didn’t realize there was so much missing.

If you are in the situation of finding it hard to be grateful this Thanksgiving Day, think about the things you DO have and not the things that you DON’T have. Did you wake up this morning? That, in and of itself, is worthy of gratitude. If you are having trouble finding something to be grateful for, e-mail me and I’ll help you find something to help you get through the day. I’ll be there for you.


Thanksgiving and the entire holiday season can be a tumultuous time of the year. Without a doubt, it can be the worst days of your life. But… there is always that light that is not an oncoming train. Like I said before – I’m optimist.     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad for you. Happy Thanksgiving.